Engage. Connect. Inspire.
Every great society leaves a meaningful cultural legacy. The people of Dane County, Wisconsin have remarkable gifts to share with the world. Arts, culture, and local history express our common humanity. The Dane County Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission within Dane County Government supports these beliefs through its Dane Arts projects and programs.
2023 Cycle 2 Grant Review Dates
Grant applications received during 2023 Cycle 2 will be reviewed by five panels in an online meeting format (Zoom Webinar). Click on AGENDA for specific applications and review times.
The public is welcome to observe any meeting. Please click on the links below to register.
Contact Augusta Brulla, Cultural Affairs Specialist, with any questions:
Dane Arts Buy Local 2023 Outdoor Arts Festival
This year the Dane Arts Buy Local (DABL) Art Market will be held at the Farley Center for Peace, Justice and Sustainability in tandem with the Earth Connections 2023 Land Art Exhibition.
September 9, 2023, 10am - 5pm
2299 Spring Rose Rd, Verona, WI 53593
Join us for a day of art, food, music and fun in the woods!
Learn more at dablmarket.com
Dane Arts Buy Local Business of Art Conference II
Thank you to all of the attendees, volunteers, presenters and sponsors who brought incredible energy, insights, and a remarkable sense of collaboration to the Second Annual Business of Art Conference!
We were honored by an address from Dane County Executive, Joe Parisi, and revitalized to hear from Director of Wisconsin Arts Board, George Tzougros, President & CEO of Arts Midwest, Torrie Allen, and Director of the Chazen Museum of Art, Dr. Amy Gilman, in addition to 27 presenters and over 100 registrants.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date on upcoming events.
Dane Arts 2023 Calendar
Enjoy the beauty of Dane County all year long with the Dane Arts 2023 Calendar!
This year's artists express the eclectic beauty of Dane County through printmaking, sculpture, photography, painting, pressed plant material, hadmade paper, and mixed media. Each of our featured artists reside in Dane County and include: S.V. Medaris, Babette Wainwright, Mark Weller, Mary Treleven, Pamela Grabber, Nancy Hagen, Janis Senungetuk, Alex Haunty, Maron Massey, Jennifer Peters, Simona Aizicovici and Maria Wood. Learn more about this year's featured artists here.
Dane Arts 2023 Poster: Richie Morales
Dane Arts is thrilled to announce the 2023 poster, Pangea, from The Effects of Time on Memory Series, “Human Animals,” by Madison-based artist, Richie Morales.
A vibrant and prolific artist, Morales' work is deeply personal and speaks to the joys and challenges of the human experience. Click here to read Mr. Morales' statement. Also listed are outlets near you to pick up your very own print of this beautiful artwork!
Arts & Economic Prosperity VI
AEP VI is an economic impact study of the nation’s nonprofit arts and culture industry. Dane Arts, in partnership with the Wisconsin Arts Board and Americans for the Arts, is conducting the sixth Arts and Economic Prosperity Survey now through April, 2023.
Dane Arts is asking for your help in proving how valuable the arts are to Dane County.
AEP VI collects critical information about event-related audience spending on categories such as food and beverages, gifts and souvenirs, local transportation, and lodging. The survey is completely anonymous and can be taken via QR code or paper hard copy.
Data collected from arts and culture events over the year will be compiled into a customized report available to the public in September, 2023. The arts are a business and economic driver here in Dane County, and the compelling data we are collecting can be used by everyone for arts advocacy initiatives, grant writing, and more! Check out the AEP V one page summary and full report released in 2015.
Artists, Arts Advocates, and Audience Members, help us help you:
- Take the survey! Please take the survey once each time you see it displayed at a nonprofit arts and culture event. The survey must be completed during the event.
- Host the survey! Consider providing copies of AEP surveys at your event (contact email@example.com for printed copies).
- Distribute surveys! We welcome any volunteers who are interested in helping us collect surveys from now until April, 2023. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spread the word! Encourage friends and family to take the AEP VI survey
Contact us to get involved!
Behind Creative: A Dane Arts Series
Dane Arts with Coney Island Studios started a series we hope you will enjoy. It's called, BEHIND CREATIVE. The series will spotlight local artists and technicians building community and the arts...BEHIND CREATIVE.
Behind Creative (pictured): Babette Wainwright - WATCH NOW
Dane Arts Newsletter
Sign up for our monthly newsletter to stay up-to-date with opportunities in the arts community!
Click here to subscribe.
DANG! 2020 Grant Recipients
Dane County Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission– aka Dane Arts– produced two videos this year. The first video recognizes, supports, and honors the many different Individual working artists impacted by COVID-19. Over 250 artists were each supported with $500 through a grant called DANG!– the Dane Arts Need Grant.
Now, we are sharing our second short video, "The Dane Arts 2020 Grant Recipients." This video highlights all the amazing Dane County arts organizations funded through our 2020 grant cycles. Their art is a true testament to the innovative and creative thinking from many talented artists and managers here in Dane County.
We are all to be thankful we have such a diverse arena of artists, arts programs, and projects. As with the DANG! recipients awarded this summer, these arts organizations have also given us all so much joy– especially at a time when we continue to be locked down due to COVID-19.
Dane Arts staff, along with Commission members, offer technical assistance, support, and advocacy countywide. Community service includes: initiating artistic projects, serving as an arts & culture resource hub, and inspiring meaningful connections between artists, presenters, and the community.
- Honoring and celebrating the Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission's community service spanning over four decades.
- Brilliant artwork created by over 100 local individual artists showcased in annual art posters and calendars, of which, hundreds of thousands are distributed near and far.
- Over 60 community murals and 35 storm drain designs created by Dane Arts Mural Arts (DAMA), a community arts effort which was started in 2014 out of this office and is now its own non- profit in partnership with Dane Arts.
- Since 2015, Dane Arts Buy Local Art Market (DABL) has been exhibiting and selling the work of local visual artists in a festive atmosphere with over $150,000 in art sold to date.
- Dane Arts Dance Arts (DADA) supporting and working with local movement artists and choreographers to create more opportunities to share creative work throughout Dane County.
- Over 100 local citizens provided service as Commission members and Grant Advisory Panel Members.
- Arts, Culture & Local History Grants (2007-2021): over 1800 awards totaling over $9.2 million (public & private sources) leveraging nearly $57.2 million from other community sources.